Thursday, December 18, 2008

Lubbock, Texas- I Need Not Return

I traveled to Lubbock, Texas this past week for work. I must say, if I never return to Lubbock, I will not be saddened. I get a kick out of Texas, football fields and oil fields. Football in a small town is just as important as football in a big city, sometimes I think it might be more so in a small town. Lubbock has one thing- Texas Tech. Lubbock is the home of Buddy Holly and Bobby Knight's Red Raiders. It's a fairly small city in Norther Texas, between New Mexico and Oklahoma. I did get a kick out of the picture below. Texas is the "Lone Star State", so it was totally appropriate to have a "loan star" in Texas. A few other shops like the sharp shooter and taxidermist did catch my eye as well, but this is a fairly short post.
From Lubbock, I travel approximately eighty miles southeast to a small town called Snyder. Along the way I drove through oil fields, cotton fields, and windmill fields (like the big ones near Palm Springs). I must say I am fascinated with small town America. Small town America in the mid-west is not far removed from a small town in any other part of the nation. I believe the chasm between the haves and have-nots is greatly exemplified in these small towns. The poor work jobs for minimum wage while the haves own land and prominent businesses in these towns. It's hard to find a "middle class". The towns are crumbling. Buildings are vacant and dilapidated. Here is a windmill I found in someone's yard.
An original Sinclair gas station, old pumps and all.
It was definitely an interesting place to visit. But it's cold, windy and smells like oil. My client referred to it as the "smell of money." I don't like that smell of money. I'll keep my debit card.

No comments: