Tuesday, November 4, 2008

History and a Book

A few days prior to Election Day I was in Borders browsing the books as I waited to meet a friend. I review the titles in the same fashion every time. I start with the new hard cover releases. If nothing catches my eye I move on to the newly released paperbacks, then to the buy 2 get 3 books, and then to the shelved books starting in literature and working my way throughout the store until something catches my eye. I rarely leave Borders without a book.
On this particular trip I did not even make it to the new paperback releases. The yellow jacket with a picture of Abraham Lincoln and Union soldiers caught my eye. As a student of History I have grown to love the Civil War. It is, perhaps, my most favorite part of the past. As soon as I saw James McPherson authored the book I knew I would be taking this one home with me. McPherson is undoubtedly the foremost Civil War historian of our time. He has done countless research, written numerous books, and can actually write so the reader understands what is going on. Tried By War has been featured on NPR and reviewed by The New York Times.

So, as I sat there on Election Night watching Barack Obama become our President-elect, I could not help but think of another President from Illinois who laid the foundation for a man like Obama to be able to achieve what no other has done.

If you're interested in the Civil War, I suggest starting with McPherson's Battle Cry of Freedom. It's the most comprehensive account of the Civil War in one book. The size is intimidating but it just might inspire you to read more about this period of History.

No comments: