Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Jury Duty

I was lucky enough to receive a jury summons last month. So, Monday morning I reported for jury duty at 8:00 am. I walked into the already crowded room and filled out my information. I expected my experience to be like tha last time I summoned. I expected to show up, watch a few movies, do a little work, and at the end of the day go home. I was very surprised when my name was called shortly after 9:00 am for the very first jury pool. I was lucky number 18 and I sat right up front during voir dire (where the judge and attorneys ask questions). I was shocked by the number of people with DUI or other serious criminal violations. So from a panel of 21 persons, I was chosen to sit on the jury of 9. I couldn't believe it. I work for attorneys; I thought for sure I would have been stricken. I've been told, those who say the least often get picked. Alas, I have spent the last three days listening to testimony in a criminal trial.

We try cases all the time in my office, granted we do civil litigation. But the responsibility of being a juror on a criminal trial was quite heavy. The duty to determine someone's guilt or innocence was difficult for me. There are no smoking guns and there are no absolute certainties. My type-A personality does not like this! There is always a "what if". But I suppose this is why we have juries, to determine, based on the evidience, the guilt or innocence of the persons charged.

I convicted someone of a very serious crime today. Justice doesn't always feel good.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

Thats rough. I think it would be easier to be the attorney then the jury.